LL-L "Morphology" 2005.10.04 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 4 21:38:58 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

04 October 2005 * Volume 03

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.09.27 (07) [E]

    From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
    Subject: Morphology
     In Low Saxon, for instance, there is the measure word _göpsch_ denoting
the
    amount of something (e.g., water or berries) that fits into two cupped
hands
    held together.  That would be an example of a special measure.  I have
never
    come across an equivalent in another language.
  You have now!

  This is a "gowpen" in Scots. Are they ny any chance related?  :)

  It's often used in the plural, eg "gowpens o siller" (loads of money).

  <quote>
  GOWPEN
  [a. ON. gaupn (Norw. dial. gaupn, Sw. göpen, Da. gievn, giøvn, in the
Dict. of 1802) = OHG. coufana (MHG. goufen). Cf. YEPSEN.
   The original sense of the Teut. word was prob. the single hand hollowed,
the sense of ‘double handful’ being expressed by the plural. The ON. word
seems to occur only as pl.; in mod.Scand. dialects the sing. is used, with
varying sense.]
  </quote>

  <quote>
  YEPSEN
  [ME. ƽespon, ƽyspon, yepsen, prob.: unrecorded OE. *ƽiepsen, *ƽiespen,
corresp. to MLG. gespe, gepse, (göpse), LG. gepse, geps, göpse, göps (G.
gäspe).
   Various other formations are found in LG. dialects, e.g. göppsche,.
göpske, göppelsche, -ske; also early Flem. gaspe, gaps, Du. dial. gap(e, LG.
gâpske, gäppelsche, -ske.
   Affinity of sense suggests derivation from the Teut. stem gaup- appearing
in OHG. *goufana (in dat. pl. coufanôm), MHG. goufen, later and dial. gauf,
ON. gaupn (whence GOWPEN). In the present state of the evidence it is
impossible to determine the relationship of these forms and of Lith.
źiùpsnis = as much as can be seized with two or three fingers, a small
handful or armful.]
     The two hands placed together so as to form a bowl-shaped cavity; as
much as can be held in this; = GOWPEN
  </quote>
Hello,
I just found this in my Flemish idioticon (i hesitate if it has anything to
do with the subject):
-gispe: Hoeveelheid vocht dat ineens gegispt wordt. Een gispe regen . Een
gispe regen in het aanzicht krijgen.
E: amount of  liquid that is trown .  a "gipse" rain. Getting a "gipse" rain
in the face.
-een gispe wind = rukwind, een kortstondige wind
E: a gust of wind
-gispen: iemand nat gispen = nat kwispelen (water smijten op de ruiten om ze
te wassen)
E: to sprinkle someone, something (to sprinkle the windows to wash them)
-een gulpe bier
E: a gush/spout of beer
- een handsvul = ren poôte (een poôte noten = een handsvul noten)
E: a handfull ( a handfull of nuts)
-  een dubbele handsvul = een gaps
E: a double handfull = a gaps.

groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LS "Etymology"

Hi,

another theme from 'above' ;-).

In summertimes, when hay nearly is dry, you can watch a kind of mini-tornado
going over the cropped fields and whirl up the hay (sometimes 15 mtrs. and
more) like a hoover.
In G we call it 'Heu-teufel', E:'hay-devil'.

I'm looking for a LS-word here. Anyone got an idea?

Pre-thanks for your answer

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm