LL-L "History" 2005.10.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 12 22:22:08 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 12 October 2005 * Volume 02

From: "heather rendall" <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.10.11 (04) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Aren't we talking about the Isle of Taneth (with an "e") here?  It's at
the
eastern tip of Kent (Roman "Cantium"), separated from the mainland by the
Whatsum Channel, which has been silted in in more recent times.  In Roman
times, the island lay a good mile offshore, and its name was "Tanatus
insula" then.  The main town is Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate coming
next.  The usual way of reaching the "island" is via Canterbury, pretty
much
the same route that existed in Roman times.  There are loads of Roman
relics
on Taneth.  In Saxon times it tended to be called "Tenet."<

And now known as the Isle of Thanet

Heather