LL-L "Names" 2005.10.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 19 15:22:36 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

19 October 2005 * Volume 03

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.10.18 (10) [E]

I think the Spanish speaking people(s) of Central American would have more
rights historically to call themselves just Americans than the inhabitants
of the USA, because the first part of the New World that was "discovered"
by Columbus c.s. was of course the island Hispaniola, and named after
Americo Vespucchi(?). But I guess (hope) that is tought in school with
history class in the US, too, or is the country so self centered that they
just leave that kind of details out? Regards, Ingmar