LL-L "Names" 2005.10.22 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 23 00:14:16 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 22 October 2005 * Volume 03

From: Reuben Epp <reuben at uniserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.10.18 (10) [E]

> On October 18  Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu> wrote:
> Subject: [LLL] Names

> Hello, all. Whenever I see someone mention the United States of America
> among speakers of Spanish and Portuguese, I hear them call us
> Norteamericanos or Estadounidenses, but never just Americanos. They say
> that
> "America" is the whole new world from Greenland to Cape Horn. When did
> America become this whole huge area instead of the one country? What is
> the
> history behind that. I don't know why, but it's a bit annoying to always
> have to stop and say, "Okay, I'm North American."
> Ben

Reuben Epp reuben at uniserve.com sends this spoof:

A Low Saxon/Low German story by Fritz Specht about Columbus
landing on the shores of America, ends thus:

"As se dor nu ankomt, stoht dor jo all de Swatten (!) an Land.
'Halloh! roppt Clumbumbus. 'Sünd ji de Swatten?'
'Jo', seggt se, 'Wi sünd de Swatten!'
'Denn is dit hier woll Ameriko?'
'Jo', seggt se, 'dit is Ameriko.'
'Och, denn sünd ji jo Amerikoners', seggt Clumbumbus.
'Jo', seggt se, 'wi sünd de Amerikoners. Denn büst du woll Clumbumbus?'
'Jo, ick bün Clumbumbus,'
'Och, du leebe Tiet! seggt se do. 'Denn sünd wi nu entdeckt.
Na, denn helpt dat nich . . .'

Cheers! Reuben Epp

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Cheers indeed!  ;-)

Heloo, dear Reuben, and welcome back!

If I may stereotype ... This seems like quintessential traditional North
German Low Saxon humor to me ... poking fun in a special way.  I wonder if
it comes through in translation.  I bet it doesn't, because the tone is hard
to replicate.  I'll take a shot at it:

***

"So when he arrives there, there's all them Blacks (!) standing there on
shore.

'Hulllllooo!' Columbus hollers, 'Are you guys them Blacks?'

'Yeah,' they says, "We sure are them Blacks!'

'Then this's gotta be America. Right?'

'Yep,' they says, 'it sure is.'

'Oh, I see! So then you guys must be Americans,' Columbus says.

'Yeah," they says, 'We sure are the Americans. So then you've gotta be
Clumbumbus. Right?'

'Yep, I sure am Clumbumbus.'

'Wow! Fancy that!' they says then, 'That must mean we're discovered now.
Well, that's the way it's gotta be then ...'"

***

What do you think?

Now that I come to think of it, I think I listened to this a long time ago.

The dialect is one of Hamburg.  Specht was born and died in Hamburg
(1891-1975).

Kiek mol warrer rin!