LL-L "Morphology" 2005.10.24 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 25 00:55:30 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 24 October 2005 * Volume 04

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.10.24 (01) [E]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:
"But not ...
* We had a great time at theirs last night.
* Thanks. We had a great time at yours last night.

Actually, the expression "let's meet at yours" etc. is quite common in the
East Midlands, and seems to be spreading."

Yes, these two are usual in East Midlands English. Both presume a prior
relationship between speaker and listener though and familiarity with the
locations in question.

Criostóir.

----------

From: Cullin Feddema <cufeddema at yahoo.de>

  This seems much like in English, where in such cases the genitive remains
  before omitted "place," "house," etc.:

  I'm going to grandma's.
  We spent some time at Uncle Jake's.
  We had a great time at Jim and Barb's tonight.

In Frisian it funktions exactly so: wy binne eefkes by masters, wy binne
eefkes by master-en-dy's, nije wike komme se by uzes, te uzes is it noflik,
tsjinnet hja op it stuit by dûmnys?, by harres is it altyd bargebiten.

----------

>   This seems much like in English, where in such cases the genitive
> remains
>   before omitted "place," "house," etc.:
>
>   I'm going to grandma's.
>   We spent some time at Uncle Jake's.
>   We had a great time at Jim and Barb's tonight.
>
>   But not ...
>   * We had a great time at theirs last night.
>   * Thanks. We had a great time at yours last night.
>
> Actually, the expression "let's meet at yours" etc. is quite common in the
> East Midlands, and seems to be spreading.

Something similar exists in Brabantish where traditionally people would say
"ten onzent" and "ten uwent" instead of "bij ons" and "bij jullie":

"Je moet eens bij ons komen" (D) ~ "Ge mü ne ki t'ont komme" (B)
"We zijn gisteren bij jullie geweest, maar jullie waren niet thuis" (D) ~
"Me zèn gistern t'aale(n)t gewést, màà ge wo ni toës" (B)

My grandpa still spoke like this, but nowadays it's no longer common.
I guess this paragogical _t_ in "onzent" and "uwent" can be compared with
the final _s_ in "yours"?

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx