LL-L "Orthography" 2005.10.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 30 03:49:45 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 October 2005 * Volume 06

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Beste Gabriele,

You wrote:

>Want another really neat Dutch word, with a consonant in the front and in
>the back, and no less than seven (!) vowels in between:

>koeieuier   (cow's udder)

>Can anyone beat that?

Seven vowels + two consonants?
I'll give you seven consonants + two vowels..."in the end". And it's not
Polish...it's Dutch *s*.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Salut, Luc!

Had you said "seven consonants + two vowels," I'd have said, "I can do
better than that: "schrikplank" (*nine* consonants + two vowels).

But you seem to say that the two vowels appear *at the end*.  How could that
possibly be, in any language, including Slavonic ones (where, as far as I am
concerned, syllabic "r" and "l" don't cound in Czech, Slovak, Slovene,
Croatian and Serbian, because they act as vowels, just like long and short
syllabic "r" and "l" in Sanskrit)?

What is it?