LL-L "Delectables" 2005.09.03 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 4 06:37:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.SEP.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Lowlanders,

I wrote under "Traditions":

> Oh, and for the extra "Delectables" twist (which I know has a few fans on
> the List, you included, Heather), there is the sweet (but not too sweet)
> delicay of the Heath: heathland buckwheat cake (LS _Bookwetenkoken_, G
> _Buchweizenkuchen_) ...

By assumed popular demand, here's the recipe for all you "Delectables"
junkies.  I hope you'll appreciate it.

BOOKWETENKOKEN | BUCHWEIZENKUCHEN
Lunenburg Heath Buckwheat Cake

Ingredients:
   250 grams (9 oz) unsalted butter
   200 grams (8 oz) sugar
   1 package vanilla sugar
   6 egg yolks
   6 egg whites
   100 milliliters (7 tablespoons) double cream
   250 grams (9 oz) almonds, grated
   250 grams buckwheat flour
   1 package baking powder
        (or normal amount for a cake in your country)
   50 grams (2 oz) sugar
   Butter (for coating the inside of the pan)
   Breadcrumbs

Filling:
   Lingonberry (or cranberry) preserves

Glaze:
   150 grams (5 oz) powdered sugar
   1 teaspoons water
   2 teaspoons rum

Preparation:
* Preheat the oven to 200 grade C (400 grade F).
* Gradually mix and whip butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, egg yolk and cream to
make a smooth batter.
* Mix almonds, buckwheat flour and baking powder, and gently fold them into
the batter.
* Beat the egg whites until they have soft peaks, gradually adding sugar,
then fold into the batter.
* Coat the inside of a cake pan with butter and breadcrumbs, and pour the
batter into it.
* Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
* After removal, let cool for at least 15 minutes on a cake grill.
* Slice the cake twice horizontally, to make three layers.
* Spread berry preserves on top of two of the layers.
* Stack the cake layers, and top them with the layer that has no filling.
* Stir sieved powdered sugar with water and rum until smooth.
* Cover the entire cake with this icing.
* Typical decoration: almond slivers.
* Luscious accompaniment: whipped cream.
* Nice serving touch: sprigs of heather and/or juniper on or around the cake
platter or as table decoration to go the heath theme; in springtime, a bunch
of tulips, daffodils and birch twigs are nice extras.

This cake can be enjoyed at any time of the year, with coffee or tea.  It's
a particularly lovely treat in spring, perhaps on Easter or Passover.  You
might also want to have it right now, since the heather of the region blooms
in August and September, which is when masses of tourists tour the Heath,
buy wreaths of heather and partake of this cake.

Laatt Jou dat lekker smeken!