LL-L "History" 2005.09.05 (02) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 5 18:40:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.SEP.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.09.04 (06) [E]

Jonny wrote:
> used to be 'sportsmen'). I still see an older knight (he just was the
> father-in-law of one of the active officers) vanishing in any mud-whole
with
> his 3.000,- pound worth shotgun. After some seconds he surfaced, over and
> over covered by any green waterplants, and he just said: 'Oh- jolly good!'
> His nickname now was 'Jolly-The-Good' in our village.

Zugereist in diese Gegend,
Noch viel mehr als sehr vermögend,
In der Hand das Perspektiv,
Kam ein Mister namens Pief.
"Warum soll ich nicht beim Gehen",
Sprach er, "in die Ferne sehen?
Schön ist es auch anderswo,
Und hier bin ich sowieso."
Hierbei aber stolpert er
In den Teich und sieht nichts mehr.

(Wilhelm Busch, Plisch und Plum)

> But- I not at all want to judge about the behaviour of the French or U.S.
> 'occupants'; I just lack of own, personal experiences.
On the whole I know that, in Southwest Germany, the French soldiers are much
better liked than the Americans - or so it was 18 years ago when I lived in
Rheinland-Pfalz where they have both. The reason is simple: the French had a
draft then (don't know whether they still do), so their young men came from
all walks of life, and many of them were very well educated and polite,
while the US soldiers had all signed up, very often because they had no
alternative because of their lack of education. This was reflected in their
overall behaviour, too. Nothing to do with nationality, thus. Also, most of
the French soldiers were doing their best to speak German, not French, when
dealing with the locals.

This reminds me of the time I was walking around the nice, big Christmas
market in Mannheim with my two young daughters, then about five and three.
My three-year-old was awed, looking up at all the lights and sights, and let
go of my hand for a moment - then grabbed it again without looking - only it
was the hand of a very tall black American soldier who was walking in front
of me. We grinned at each other and let her find out for herself - which she
eventually did, looking up at him, whispering "Mama?" in disbelief...

Gabriele Kahn