LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.07 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 7 17:42:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.SEP.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.07 (02) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Does Northumbrian have "cloy", or
is "clag" used in its place? My theory (after reading your post) is that
"clag" is Northumbrian (and probably Scots) whereas "cloy" is the southern,

English form. Can you refer in Northumbrian to "claggy" fog?<

In the South West they have 'clidgy'.
I'm not sure about the spelling as I 've never seen it written - only heard
it being used.

A very useful word. It describes the kind of food texture that sticks to
your teeth when being eaten and necessitates much cleaning of teeth
afterwards with the tongue.

i.e. Digestive Biscuits.  Cornish Pasties;

so a sticky substance ! Surely related?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Wow, Heather!  That's amazing!

Where I was born and raised (in and around Hamburg, Germany) we say
_klitschig_ for the same in both Low Saxon and German!  And all these years
I thought it was a freak lexical occurrence.  (My wife uses it now too in
English, because in her English there isn't an equivalent.)  When I was a
kid, my mother would occasionally send me to return a loaf of bread to the
baker's on account of it being _klitschig_, which was considered
unacceptable.  Typically, _klitschig_ happens when bread or cake is not
properly baked or collapsed in the middle of rising in the oven, thus ending
up with a center that has a sticky and otherwise weird consistency, much
like wet clay.  I take it we are talking about the same thing.

There is a small handful of occurrencence of _clidgy_ on the Web, and it
looks like it's a West Country thing, including Cornwall.  _Klitschig_
occurs on the Web more often, including a German reference to brownies being
*supposed* to be _klitschig_.