LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.07 (13) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 8 05:06:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.SEP.2005 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.06 (01) [E]

Beste Jonny, Ron, Mark,

Onderwerp: "Language survival"

> I woud frown upon any sugjestion of a 50-50 division or bileingual
> edewcateion.

!!!

Have any of you given thought to what happened in South Africa with English
& that other language Afrikaans? I do not accept that the representative
majority of my people do discredit to the English language in speech or in
print. I suppose you would also have to look hard for a Welsh lad or lass of
school-leaving age who would abuse the English so.

Om billik te wees, ouers het van die begin af die keuse gehad om vanaf die
eerste skooljaar hulle kinders of in Engels of in Afrikaans te laat
onderrig. Van toe af is hulle hele onderwys in die gekeuse taal (nie
noodwendig moedertaal nie, maar mens moes motiveer), hetsy die Wetenskap of
die Vrye Kunste. Een uitsondering alleen is die ander nasionale taal, en dit
is vanaf die eerste skooljaar 'n voorgeskrewe eksamen-vak. Die voordeel van
Afrikaanssprekendes is dat ons onderwysers in Engels lede van ons eie
gemeenskap is, met die nodige inwendige verstand van ons eie taalgange.

Die ander taalgroep het natuurlik die einste voordeel in hulle eie gekeuse
taal geniet, (met voorwaardes verbonde aan hulle eie kultuurbelange - bv. al
te min van die Engelse gemeenskap het onderwys as 'n beroeping opgevat). Die
gevolg daarvan is dat die meerderheid onderwysers nie inboorling
Engelssprekendes was nie - ieder immigrante uit Noord Engeland en Skotland,
en Afrikaners.

Ek sal julle laat raai in watter taal ek my onderrig ontvang het. Elsie en
Ron bly aub eers 'n bietjie stil.

I cannot imagine how it is that Welsh goes from strength to strength, while
the mother-tongue of my maternal Grandmother's people dropped from over
three hundred thousand under English hegemony in 1919 to twenty thousand
(averred & untested) under their own leadership in 2005. It is a scandal.

I suppose if in the first place teaching were viewed as a calling as it was
once in Scotland & in my country - that is highly respected and well as well
as promptly paid, so that the authorities could take their pick of
volunteers, it would help.
Then they would have to be marshalled to teach as many as volunteered (that
is their parents) to fluency in all subjects at every school-year right up
to the tertiary level, excepting only English, one lesson every day from the
beginning, as an examination-subject, taught in English.
A language-Academy would have to be established, NOT to prescribe how to
speak Irish, but to develop technical language rooted in the Irish language,
suitable for every modern pursuit & all crafts.
The State would need to guarantee secure employment for SUITABLE graduates
in Irish - not hard to do, they are surely tragically short of such people.
The State would have to seek out & subsidise worthy scholars fluent in
Irish, for teachers & researchers in that tongue.
If all this were done & ONLY those who volunteered were included in the
program they could start building on what survives of Irish.
The program would then become attractive to others with a cultural bias as
well as ambition in that subject.
Having established that foundation, the other official language, English,
could be honourably served by those committed to it, while at the same time
the radically reduced need for tuition in Irish to one lesson per day for
every pupil would the more easily be served.
Then you could start building up the population of native Irish speakers,
with adult language tuition, foreigner ditto &c.
Under such a regime I believe only those who loved the Irish would speak it,
& they would strive to speak it well. What are numbers, after all?

Is this too big a bite of reality? I don't think so. Once the same danger
threatened Afrikaans. Here was English, the conquerer's tongue, &
alternatively Nederlands, with an orthography & grammar as alien as English.
Afrikaans was dismissed as either 'Die Taal' or 'Kitchen Dutch'. It is no
surprise that so many of our people who went overseas to study past school
level went to St Andrews in Scotland - at least they could understand the
speech on the street! And while they were about it they converted the South
African Dutch Reformed Churches to Presbytarianism.

Jonny, ek wet jou jy sal uit eie bodem 'n ordentlikke Laelandse vakkundige
woordeskat kan uitdelf in sommer enige onderwerp. Onthou die Hansa had mos
rekekundiges, boekhouers, seemanne, skipbouers, grofsmede, soldate en nogwat
volop ingeboek - sommer hordes. Hulle moes in die taal diens lewer en
kommunikeer. Dit sal my nie verbaas nie as u voorgangers hulle aandag op die
onderwerp gevestig het. Hou moed! Aanhou wen.

Ek is die laaste maande lank en laat in my werkies bebesig, en daarom kon ek
min bydra tot die gesellighede. Tog lees ek graag, Gabriele! Else, Ron en
almal.

Die uwe
Mark