LL-L "History" 2005.09.11 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 11 16:05:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: History lesson?

Dear All,

Sorry I've not been writing (reading, even) much recently.  My thesis is
taking all my time.

I am just back from a small trip to a town where the tourist shops have
clogs in, cheese is flavoured with caraway, every other building is
supported with short wall anchors.  In the open-air museum, there are a
pair of fine windmills, which come from another part of the country
which sounds like 'olland'!

Guess where I was!  Arnhem?  No, this was Stockholm!

I wonder why the windmills are associated with
Aaland (the Aa should be an A with a circle over it) / Ahvenanmaa?

It was very strange to see so much "Dutch" material culture here - yes,
the Hanseatic and later Dutch trading network did tie the Baltic
together, but there is more "Dutch" in Stockholm than in any other
Baltic city I've visited.

Best wishes,

Pat
(Ahvenanmaa/Aaland is, if course, part if Finland now)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)