LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 14 16:06:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.SEP.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Language varieties" [E]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.12 (04) [E]
>

> Gabriele wrote:
> "But DVDs have one other very useful function - subtitles! Just switch
> them
> on the next time..."
>
> This reminds me of a TV serial in the 90s starring Robert Carlyle and set
> in
> a tough area of Edinburgh with a particularly heavy accent (Carlyle is a
> genius at accents).  Because the dialogue was so difficult to follow, they
> subtitled it.  OK so far...but not in Standard English, they just
> transcribed the dialect!!  So you couldn't understand half of what they
> said, and couldn't read it either!!

This makes sense to me. I'm deaf and I'd be very annoyed if I couldn't
access the dialect because the subtitlers put it into homogenised English
(what's "Standard English"? - I think the analogy with the modern treatment
of milk is more accurate :)

TV subtitles in the UK on Teletext page 888 are for the deaf and hard of
hearing. The only language subtitles, as far as I know, are in Wales, where
English subtitles are on page 888 and Welsh ones on page 889 (this is on C4
I don't know if the other channels have adopted this or have plans to).

Most DVDs have two sets of English subtitles (and sometimes two sets in
other languages - in our "region" usually German and Italian). One set is
"English" the other "English HoH" (HoH - "Hard of Hearing").

"English" subtitles simply give the dialogue in English, "English HoH" have
the dialogue, plus positioning of the subtitles to show who's speaking or
arrows pointing to someone speaking off-screen (this isn't as good as
Teletext subtitles on British TV which have different colours for different
speakers), and sound effects are described.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/