LL-L "Delectables" 2005.09.15 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 15 18:56:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.08.31 (09) [E]

Help

Carsten Schmidke posts some interesting recipes on his website.  Many
of them call for "Polish sausages".  Does anyone have any idea what
this might be?  In Washington, DC, many sidewalk vendors sell
something they call "Polish sausages".  When we had a houseguest from
Poland, he asked "which sausage?  There are 630 unique sausages made
in Poland."  Now we have a first class Polish butcher on the Lower
East Side of Manhattan, Kurowicki, but I will be damned if I will walk
up to him and like an idiot, ask for "Polish sausages."

Tom Byro

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Tom,

German "Polish sausage" is very similar to what is sold in general American
supermarkets as Kielbasa.

I know it simply means 'sausage' in Polish, but the American type of sausage
sold under that name falls into a specific category: a large, long sausage,
usually bound into a "ring."  It is based on a certain type of Polish
sausage.