LL-L "Society" 2005.09.20 (05) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 20 16:04:11 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Society was 'Etymology'

Hi all,

I have always found this subject immensely interesting that women who chose
to live contrary to society?s expectations, were shunned and even burnt at
the stake
as witches.

I have on my kitchen shelf an Offenburger Hexe with her little bag of
rosehips.
As I understand from our 87 year-old German grandmama, these women were
merely bright sparks who understood the workings of different medicinal
herbs,
rootstock and seeds and, because of their knowledge (which is power) they
were
regarded by the church as suspect for trying to be more powerful than God.

?Haglik? is die woord wat opkom.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser