LL-L "Names" 2005.09.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 25 16:23:26 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.09.24 (05) [E]

>After all, this Acomb is situated  in northeastern England, a fair way
away from Wales. <

Ron! I am surprised at you!!!!

Who do you think gave Cumbria its name???? On the NorthWest of England.
                         [Ans: the Cymru]

And where did the Brythons, who settled in Mid Wales come from?
                                     [ Ans: from Scotland - pushed out
probably by the Scotti who came over from Northern Ireland.]

Right little Musical Chairs the UK used to be/ still is!

There is also a suggestion that Combe might be a remanent from a pre-
Celtic language that the Celts took over themselves!

On another tack: I have just come across the word 'Runnells' meaning a
cropped or pollarded oak.
I am supposingt hat this is derived from 'hruna' OE for 'fallen tree'.

Do any Lowland languages have anything similar to 'runnels' for anykind of
timber live or dead?

Heather

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Names

Dear all,

Re the discussion on  place names in NE England -
you're correct on the 'Acomb'. There is an Acomb next
to me in West Northumberland and I believe on in
Yorkshire. I am also aware that there are other Acombs
elsewhere in England.

There is an Escomb in County Durham which is thought
to mean 'either Eddi's Cumb, a valley belonging to
either Eddi or Aedi, or an Anglos-Saxon plural form of
the word Eddish, meaning park.

You may be interested in how Northumbrian dialect has
directly impacted places names. There are two villages
in Northumberland called 'Wark' meaning work. Wark (or
'w-oork') means 'work' in local dialect.

Gan canny,
Glenn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Heather, and a nice Sunday to you, too!

> Ron! I am surprised at you!!!!

I take it that's pleasantly.  :-)

> Who do you think gave Cumbria its name???? On the NorthWest of England.

Yeah, but northwest ain't northeast.  :-)  We now that the Welsh lived all
the way up in northwestern Scotland.  But did they live on the east coast?

Glenn, and hi to you, too.

> There are two villages
> in Northumberland called 'Wark' meaning work. Wark (or
> 'w-oork') means 'work' in local dialect.

That's _wark_ ([va:k]) in Low Saxon too, by the way.

Cheers!