LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.25 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 26 03:21:35 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.24 (02) [E]

Hi Gabriele,

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.23 (10) [A]

> Mark wrote:
>> moderne Engels. Weliswaar, Moderne Engels het die grootste woordeskat van
>> alle tale ter Wëreld, maar hoor nou mooi vir die algewone enkeltalige
>> Engelsman, en jy hoor hoe maak hulle inteendeel staat op die kleinste
>> werkende woordeskat as enige ander enkeltalige in sy eie taal.

> Are you sure? I heard that German had the largest vocabulary, due to all
> those composite nouns and verbs, while English is a lot more limited in
> that
> respect.

Well so the dons (the English ones) do brag, and having seen the Oxford
English Dictionary in all its glory on Professor Abercrombie's shelves, I am
not disposed to differ. And in this country, on the other hand, as well as
Old Blighty, I have had the pleasure of company with a working vocabulary of
two syllables & no adjectives. Well, this doesn't argue poor language,
consider Hemingway ---.

>> due to all
>> those composite nouns and verbs, while English is a lot more limited in
>> that
>> respect.

Hi Ron! We can also do composites. Consider the one that, she averred, got
my mother a distinction in her Orals in her matric year:
'Landbougenoodskaptentoonstellingkommitteevergadering', (the 'Agricultural
Union exhibition committee meeting'). And this is not a fantasy or a
one-time word. It must be trotted out as a matter of course in all rural
districts every year around July.

My all-time favourite is that historic dorp bearing the name
'Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein', (the 'Spring where two
buffalos were killed stone dead with one shot'). Let the Welshman read, &
weep!

Yrs,
Mark