LL-L "Names" 2005.09.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 26 19:24:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.SEP.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.09.23 (01) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Names

This makes me wonder about place names with -um in England. Are there any
Frisian remnants among them, or are they all the supposed Anglo-Saxon
plural? Or is it the same thing?

Examples of Northeastern England:

Acomb (< Akum 'oaks')
Aireyholme (< Erghum 'at the shielings')
Bedlam (< Bodle Lum 'at the buildings')
Bolam (< Bolum 'planks')
Coatham (< Cotum 'at the cottages')
Moorseholm (< Mooresum 'moor houses'; cf. NF Morsum!)
Yarum ('fish pools')

Not so sure sure about a lot of those Ron; the "holmes" are almost certainly
holm - island in OE and Norse.  Acomb is probably "Oak-combe" - Oak Valley
(combe being a borrowing from Welsh cwm). Coatham is a typical "ham" name,
cognate with "home", we've got thousands of 'em. I don't have my copy of
Stenton to hand, but I'm fairly sure Bedlam was contracted from "Bethlehem"-
there was a hospital there, Benedictine I think.  Don't know about Yarum or
Bolam until the errant Stenton turns up!

Paul