LL-L "Morphology" 2005.09.28 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 28 15:07:10 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.09.27 (03) [E]

Ron wrote:
> My point is that once in a while a language develops a seemingly "odd"
word,
> like this measure word.  However, if you think about it, it isn't really
so
> weird, and you wonder why other languages don't have equivalents of it.
In
> this case, two cupped hands held together to receive a larger quantity
than
> a handful seems rather common.  No doubt we have all encountered it many,
> many times in our lives, for instance held under a spigot or faucet (tap)
> receive water for drinking or rinsing washing, or held out to catch as
much
> candy, berries or coins as possible ...

But that's exactly what a German "Handvoll" is, no? Despite its name, it's
actually two cupped hands full - or at least that's how I've always heard it
used.

Gabriele Kahn

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Hi, Gabriele!

> But that's exactly what a German "Handvoll" is, no? Despite its name, it's
> actually two cupped hands full

Not in *my* book, at least not by default.