LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.04.01 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 2 20:27:05 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 02 April 2006 * Volume 01

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lowlands-L Idiomatica

Hi Marcel and all

you asked about Sranantongo for future. My dictionary
has two words, 'futuru' and 'konten'.

Gary

http://hometown.aol.com/taylor16471/myhomepage/index.html

----------

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.04.01 (06) [E]

Dear Ron, Igmar,

Thank you Ron, for the exhaustive explanation, and for supplying us with the
Indic and even the Old English words that denote future! As you said, words
that denote _future_ are usually derivatives of words with another meaning.
Of course, that is normal in languages. The Indo European corpus of roots is
so small compared to the corpus of - say - the Latin corpus of IE
derivatives. Obviously, most words contain roots that hsve another original
meaning. Even the English Latinate word _future_ comes from Indo-European
*bheuo-, and is related to Germanic verbs such as _to be_, Old Irish _buith_
'to be', Latin _fio_ 'to become', Oscan _fui_ 'I have been', Greek _phúo_ 'I
beget'.

As you can see, language attitudes are very strongly associated with
identity markers such as (alledged) mentality, the lack of certain words,
differences in thinking, agrarian or hunter-gatherer societies, etc. I will
be the last one to state that old, traditional and even aristocratic
cultures are 'primitive'! And I don't want to get into ethnical quarrels in
Surinam (of which I wasn't aware until this week), butr Ingmar's use of the
word 'fascist'  by which he attempts to characterise disdainful attitudes of
some Hinustani, is really over the top. Are disdainful Hindu's in Surinam
praying for the rise of one strong leader and a police state? Are they
wearing black paramilitary uniforms when they are at home? Do they read
powerful exhortations and poetry from Italian activists from the
interbellum? Of course not. What is going on in cases is merely --
regardless if it is morally justified by our postmodern standards -- the
sense of cultural superiority (group identity), which is as old as Homo
sapiens sapiens.

Ron, I could ask the colleague to translate the Wren's story into Sarnami,
and have him read it on my future (!) voice recorder. I don't know if he is
into Sranantongo that much, but another colleague is from Curaçao
("Korsao"), and he speaks beautiful Papiamentu. How about that? I will try,
OK?

Te wi miti baka!

Marcel.