LL-L "Levity" 2006.04.04 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 5 01:00:29 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

04 April 2006 * Volume 07

From: Paul Tatum <ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.24 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Ben:
>
>> Maybe that's why you have all those scars - from the initiation.
>
> Scars?  Sure!  You can call it "initiation" or  whatever.  Alas, the
> best types of initiation or lesson come with scars.  Never trust a
> supposed _kahuna nui_ that has an unblemished baby face!
>
> Cheerio!
> Reinhard/Ron

And there was me thinking that you got them from trying to surf on buses.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi, Paul!

> And there was me thinking that you got them from trying to surf on buses.

That too.  But those belong to scars of the decrepit.  Surfing while
socializing on buses requires too high a degree of multitasking while going
downhill (in every sense of the word).

Talking about surfing kahunas, a couple of people have asked me to
republished their Hawaiian names of honor (apparently because they didn't
bother to write them down or look them up in the archives).  So here is the
list so far (though there may be omissions):

ANDRYS:
KO'I'ULALALO-MŌLĪKĪKAHA
(< Tokikurararo Mōrītītafa)
   kīkaha (glide, soar)
   ko'i'ula (rainbow-hued mist)
   lalo (leeward, lee, southern)
   mōlī (albatross)

ARTHUR:
MELEKEIKAI'ĀKAU
(< *Meleteitaikātau)
   'ākau (north)
   kai (shore, coastal lowlands)
   kei (to glory in, to take pride in, dignified, proud, glorious)
   mele (poem, song)

BEN:
'IO-LANI
(< *Kio-rangi)
   'io (hawk)
   lani (chief, supreme, most favored)

CRÍOSTÓIR:
LĀ'AUKUPUNA
(< *Rākautupuna)
   kupuna (ancestor)
   lā'au (war club)

ELSIE:
MANUMELE-LUNA-'ĀINAKULA
(< *Manumere-runga-Kāinga(gold))
   'āina (land)
   kula (< gold)
   luna (above)
   manu (bird)
   mele (song, poem)
   manu mele (songbird)

GABRIELE:
'Ō'IO'IO-LOKO-ULULĀ'AU
(< *Kookiokio-roto-Hururaakau)
  lā'au (wood, timber, tree, plant)
   loko (inside)
   'ō'io'io (chirp, chirping, chitchat)
   ulu (assemblage, flock, grove; possessed by devity)
   ulu lāʻau (grove, forest, thicket)
Nickname:
MŌ'ĪLĀNAIPĪNAKI
   lānai (balcony, gallery)
   mō'ī (monarch)
   pīnaki (peanut)

GARY:
'U'INA-IĀ-MULIWAI
(< *Kukina-Iā-Muriwai)
   iā (at, to, from)
   muliwai (estuary)
   'u'ina (sudden sharp sound, to crack, snap, crackle,
   creak, glottal stop)

GUSTAAF:
HAKAHŌKŪ-AOULIKOMOHANA
(< *Fatafōtū-Aouritomohana)
   aouli (firmament)
   haka (gaze)
   hōkū (star(s))
   komohana ("enterer (of the sea)" = west, occident)

HEATHER:
PUALALOKUPUKUPU
(< *Puararotuputupu)
   lalo (beneath)
   kupukupu (fern)
   pua (flower)
Nickname:
INOA-HAKUPUKE-HEMEA'OLE
(< *Ingoa-Fatupute-Femeakore)
   haku puke (writer)
   he mea 'ole (not worth mentioning)
   inoa (name)

HENNO:
LOA'APUNA-LALO-KĀKAHIKO
(< Roakapuna-raro-Tātahito)
   kā (groundcover, vine)
   kahiko (ancient)
   lalo (beneath)
   loa'a (find)
   puna ((water) spring)

HUGO:
'OLUWAHINOHOLALOLIPO
(< *Koruwafinoforaroripo)
   lalo: beneath
   lipo: southern star, southern sky
   noho: dwell, reside
   'olu: contented, happy, satisfied
   wahi: place
   wahinoho: place of residence
Nickname:
'EKEDĀLĀ-KA'APEHA
(< *Kete+{dollar}-Takapefa)
   dālā: dollar, cash, money
   'eke: sack, pocket, bag, basket; bag-shaped fish net; scrotum
   'ekedālā: money bag
   'eke'eke: small sack/bag, purse; scrotum
   'eke'ekedālā: wallet
   ka'apeha: impressively large

INGMAR:
KAULANAKEKĀNE
(< *Taurangatetāne)
   ("famed is Taane (the Polynesian main deity),"
   also meaning '(male) sweetheart'

ISAAC:
'AKAKŌ'ELEIĀLANI
(< *Katatōkereihārangi)
   'aka (laughter)
   'eleiālani (west [poetic], also a shaman’s name])
   kō (wind-borne)

JACQUELINE:
'UKI'UKIKEHAMOKU
(< *Kutikutitefamotu)
   keha (pride, dignity, lofty)
   moku (island)
   'uki'uki (lily, _Dianella sandwicensis_)

JAN S.:
LEIHUA-MŌKILAHĀKEI
(< *Reihua-Mōtirahākei)
   hākei (proud(ly), glory, glorious(ly))
   hua (word)
   lei (lei, necklace)
   mōkila (to string)

JONNY:
HEHĒ-A'E-NUKU
(< *Hehē-Ake-Ngutu)
   a'e (sideways, nearby, across)
   hehē (burst of laughter)
   nuku (beak, snout, mouth of a river, harbor entrance)
Nickname:
PĀPA'I-IWI-PŪPŪ
(< *Pāpaki-Iwi-Pūpū)
   'hermit crab'
   iwi (bone, carcass, shell)
   pāpa'i (crab)
   pūpū (snail shell)

KEVIN C.:
LUAWAIANU-NIHINIHI
(< *Ruawaihanu-Nifinifi)
   anu (cold)
   luawai (wellspring)
   nihi (gentle, soft, careful)
   nihinihi (very gentle, very careful, great care, careful observance,
   decorous(ness), fastidious(ness), finicky, "sticklerdom")

LONE:
MOANI-LIKE-KOLOKOLOHAI
(Proto-Polynesian: Matangi-rite-Torotorofai)
   like : like, alike*
   moani : wafted fragrance
   kolokolohai : humble, kind, thoughtful, considerate

LUC H.:
MĀLAMALAMAMAMAHA
(< Māramaramamamafa)
   ma (at, in, on, beside, along, through; by means of)
   maha (wings of flying fish)
   mālamalama (radiance, light of knowledge, enlightenment)

LUC V.:
PUA'Ā-O-KAI
(< *Puakā-o-Tai)
   pua (flower)
   'ā (fire)
   o kai (of the lowland)

MIKE S.:
1: KŪPINA'ILEONUI
(< *Tūpingakireonui)
   kūpina'i (echo, reverberation)
   leo (voice)
   nui (great, many, countless)
2: MEALOA’AMAKAMAE
(< *Mearoakamatamae)
   loa'a (obtain, procure, discover, locate)
   makamae (precious, treasure)
   mea (doer, person [that does/is])

MIKE W.:
WĀLOA
(< *Wāroa)
   loa (distant, faraway)
   wā (roar)

PAT:
HULIHALEKAHIKO
(< *Furitfaretahito)
   hale (house, building)
   huli (search, examine, research, study)
   kahikio (ancient)

PAUL T:
HO'OPONOPONO'ŌLELO
(< *Fokopongopongokōrero)
   ho'oponopono (regulate(-ing))
   'ōlelo (speech, language)

RIKUS:
WAIPUHIA-LUNA-KOLONAHE
(< *Waipufia-runga-Toronafe)
   kolonahe: gentle, pleasant breeze
   luna: above
   wai puhia: ("upside-down waterfall") rising,
   wind-blown spray from a waterfall

ROGER T.:
'IMIMAKAMAE'IKE
(< *Kimimatamaekite)
   'ike (knowledge)
   'imi (seek, search)
   makamae (treasure)

SANDY:
'AEKO'ELEHO'ĀHUMO'OLELO
(< *Kaetokerefokāfumokorero)
   'ele (black)
   ho'āhu (collect, gather, compile)
   'aeko (hawk)
   mo'olelo (literature)

UTZ:
HAKA-ALOHA-MANA'E
(< *Fata-Alofa-Mangake)
   aloha (love, kindness, loving, kind, gentle)
   haka (gaze)
   mana'e (eastward)

WES:
NĀ'AU'OKO'AKANAKA
(< *Ngākaukotokatangata)
   nā'au: feelings, sentiment, kindness (Maori: ngākau)
   'oko'a: all, entire, mutual (Maori: katoa)
   kanaka: people (Maori: tāngata)

Yours truly:
KAHUNA 'ŌLELO KAI 'ĀKAU
(< *Kafunga Kōrero Kātau)
   'ākau (north)
   kahuna (leader, chief, priest, shaman)
   kai (shore, coastal lowlands)
   'ōlelo (speech, language)

You, too, could be a thusly honored one by sharing your brilliance for the
sake of all.