LL-L "History" 2006.04.10 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 10 16:27:37 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 10 April 2006 * Volume 03

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.08 (04) [D/E]

The funny thing is that these place names in Dutch are already in use in
personal names!
"Dusseldorp" and "Sleeswijk" are common Achterhoek names, "Van Brunswijk"
was the (in-)famous "Bush Negro" rebel leader of the Jungle Commando in
Suriname, I've also heard of "Van Maagdenburg" and if you'd google around
with a bit of imagination you would probably find all of them.

Groetjes
Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Hi, Ingmar!

Maybe this isn't really that "funny," considering that there's a long
history of people migrating east and west across today's
Belgian-Netherlands-German borders, considering also that there used to be a
much less disturbed language continuum in which people pronounced the names
of places within the continuum range in their own language varieties.  Thus,
even in German you say, for instance Brügge, Brüssel, Dünkirchen, Nimwegen
und Arnheim.