LL-L "Etymology" 2006.04.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 12 19:45:58 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

12 April 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.04.12 (03) [E]

I rather wonder if this Scheria has anything to do with those sheer coastal
precipes (Low Saxon _schaar_, e.g., on the Baltic See coast) and/or those
rocky islands or "cut-off" rocks or cliffs along the Baltic Sea coast (e.g.,
Swedish _skär_, Norwegian _skjer_, Danish _skær_, Old Norse _sker_ > English
"skerry," Gaelic _sgeir_, cf. Dutch _scheer_).  This is related to English
"sheer" ('to rise/drop steeply', 'rising/dropping steeply') and German
_Schere_ (scissors), thus with the sense of "cut."

Skerry? I've never seen that spelling. Is it archaic or something?
Ben