LL-L "Etymology" 2006.04.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 14 15:35:22 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

14 April 2006 * Volume 01

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.04.13 (06) [E]

Dave Singleton wrote:
>On the skerry side didn't the Gaelic have a song about Schule Skerry (hope
>that's right) about merfolk who changed fron seals to people and back
>gain  ---

This is actually a Francis J. Child ballad; the story originated in the
Orkney Islands.

The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry

An earthly nourris sits and sings
And aye she sings, "Ba lily wean!
Little ken I of my bairnie's father,
Far less the land that he staps in."

Then in steps he to her bedside
And a gromly guest I'm sure was he
Sang Here am I, thy bairnie's father
Although I be not comely."

"I am a man upon the land,
and I am a silkie in the sea,
And when I'm far and far frae land,
my home it is in Sule Skerry."

"It wasnae weel," quoth the maiden fair,
"It wasnae weel, indeed," quoth she,
"That the Great Silkie from Sule Skerry
Should have come and wrought a bairn on me."

Now he has ta'en a purse of gold,
And he has placed it on her knee,
Saying, "Give to me my wee young son,
And take this gold as thy nourris fee."

"It shall come to pass, on a summer's day,
When the sun shines hot on every stone,
That I will take my wee young son
And teach him for to swim the foam."

"And thou shalt marry a proud gunner,
And a proud gunner I'm sure he'll be,
And the very first shot that e'er he shoots,
He'll kill both my young son and me."

"Alas, Alas, the maiden cried
This weary fate's been laid for me
And then she said, and then she said,
I'll bury me in Sule Skerry."

I have always been very particular to stories of silkies, or selkies,
because I could relate so well to the story of the selkie girl who marries a
human after he managed to find and hide her seal skin, and she cannot return
to the sea until she finds it.

This was very much like my situation when I was stranded in the USA for
years, unable to return home to Europe because of a lengthy custody fight
for my youngest daughter. When, during that time, I found true love in a
place where no-one had ever thought to look, I told him that I was really a
selkie, and warned him that some day, I would turn back into a seal and
return to my ocean home along with my three daughters, probably leaving him
heartbroken.

Well, the time finally came, and what happened was that he gathered all his
courage and leaped right in after us, turning into a seal himself, leaving
everything behind and never looking back...

Gabriele Kahn