LL-L "History" 2006.04.15 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 16 07:04:18 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 15 April 2006 * Volume 06

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.04.15 (03) [E/French]

> From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.04.12 (04) [E]

[...]

 Anyway,  research has shown
> that present-day
> Icelanders have a large portion of Celtic blood.

[...]
***

Hello,

Recent DNA-research shows that [most of] the
Icelanders have a particular DNA that in large amount
also is to be found in Azerbeidjan.
And guess what...? Snorri [13th century] says that
their ancestry goes back to the Black Sea.

So now I also have to learn Azeri. Who knows a good
self-study website? [lol]

And to make quick steps for our novices: this could
explain e.g some scandinavian peculiarities, as the
hang-on article: e.g. (norw.) chair = stol ; THE chair
= stolen / stola.

***

> Some people think that the Icelandic Celts were
monks from Ireland,
but
> where
> did all those women come from that I mentioned
earlier?

IN those days in Ireland not only parish-priests (as
still in the russian church a.s.o.) but also
monastery-monks could be married.
And I am sure that when the vikings came on Iceland to
become Icelanders they did not slaughter the women,
noble in mind as they were, but only the Irish monks.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Nice one, Theo!  Thanks for making my day ... well, midnight!

> So now I also have to learn Azeri. Who knows a good
> self-study website? [lol]

I suppose I could have helped you there, but something tells me I'd be
wasting my time.  ;-)  Anyway, in the great scheme of things Azeri isn't
much different from Turkish, despite the obviously multi-ethnic background
of its speakers.  "Despite"?  Turks of Turkey are of pretty darn diverse
background also.

> And to make quick steps for our novices: this could
> explain e.g some scandinavian peculiarities, as the
> hang-on article: e.g. (norw.) chair = stol ; THE chair
> = stolen / stola.

Happily, Turkic doesn't have articles, but, yes, it loves dragging all that
other stuff behind.

Maybe Snorri fancied himself being a descendent of Goths that meant to
return to their ancestral homeland and either found themselves blown off
course or had to find out that Southern Sweden was then even more
overpopulated than when their forebears left.

As for Iceland, well, there's another myth of isolation and purity going
down the geyser's blowhole.  Anyway, it's clear that traffic between Norway
and Iceland had always been pretty heavy, even bumper to bumper at times,
that Scots had long communed with Faeroese, and that fishermen from the
Iberian Peninsula (especially the part-Celtic Portuguese and Galicians) have
searched for cod in the very north for centuries (just couldn't help
themselves, couldn't live without their _baccalau_).

Anyway, Theo, as soon as I cracked a smile about your input, the Kahuna
showed up and said, "Ho'omina akeakamai," which I understood as meaning "The
scholar makes you smile," and I mumbled, "Ē, 'oia'i'o!" ("He sure does!").
Then he explained that it was not a question but your revised meritorious
moniker.  It replaces the (boring) one you may not even have known you had.
Anyway, it's on the list of fragrant names
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm).  Similarities between
_Ho'omina_ ('to cause to smile') and your surname are coincidental, or so
the Kahuna claims.  (He's a bit of a skellum at times.)

Enjoy!