SPAM:: LL-L 'History' 2006.08.03 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 3 21:36:20 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 August 2006 * Volume 08

From: 'ANNETTE GIESBRECHT' <beautyaround at email.com>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.08.03 (05) [E]

There are quite a few speculations on Jamestown, one of which they were captured
by enemy Indian tribes, got sick and died of starvation (you have to remember
that the settlers came from a climate that was mild all year round and rarely got
down to 1 degree Fah. in winter =--much like the coast from Alaska down past San
Francisco). However we're were discussing the Norse settlers who disappeared.
There is one way of finding out. You have to compare the Iniut where they settled
to the Inuit farther west. Now if there was a difference in height between both
groups, and their diet was the same, that would lead one to conclude that there
was intermarriage. So if the average size of the Inuit who live in the Yukon
Territories was 5 feet 3 nches (I am no expert) and the Inuit in what used to
called Vineland and in Greenland was 5 feet 6 inches and there were blue or grey
flecks in their eyes, then the Norse men intermarried Inuit women who raised the
children to be Inujt. And in Greenland there was a climatic change. It grew
colder and the sett;ers either starved, froze to death, or went back home to
Iceland,. Denmark and the other Scandenavian countries
Annette R. Giesbrecht

----------

From: Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

re Jamestown

Sorry - I had thought that the site was abandoned; I didn't realise it was
re-started.

extract from from http://www.apva.org/history/index.html
Copyright 1997, 2000 by The Association for the Preservation of Virginia
Antiquities
Comments jamestown at apva.org','','','1')">jamestown at apva.org

The "starving time" winter followed Smith's departure in 1609 during which
only 60 of the original 214 settlers at Jamestown survived. That June, the
survivors decided to bury cannon and armor and abandon the town. It was
only the arrival of the new governor, Lord De La Ware, and his supply ships
that brought the colonists back to the fort and the colony back on its
feet.

Heather