LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 6 08:53:14 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 06 August 2006 * Volume 01

From: Robert Kelly <kelly at bard.edu>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.05 (02) [E]

Wren.  The etymological Robert (vol. 3) implies, but doesn't outright say, that
the bird is called kinglet (roitelet in French) because of its small size.  It
was likely the smallest of common birds in northern Europe -- so its name of
Little King might be the gentle irony of calling a very tall man Shorty (or Klein...)

RK