LL-L 'History' 2006.08.07 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 7 23:29:41 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 07 August 2006 * Volume 09

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.07 (05) [E]

>From: 'Global Moose Translations' <globalmoose at t-online.de>
>Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.07 (04) [E]
>
>Ben wrote:
>
>>Gabriele and list, were there really ostriches in Europe. I thought that
>>they were a tropical/subtropical bird.
>
>Of course you are right, Ben. I just felt like adding that bit when I retold
>the story, wondering whether I could get away with it... :-)

In the version I heard, a little bird fell out from under the Eagle's
wing, semi-conscious and gasping for air, and plummetted to earth where
the other birds fortunately managed to revive him. "You Tit!" said the
Raven, "Don't you know that only the Eagle has the necessary respiratory
organs to breathe in the rarefied atmosphere at such heights?"

"I know now," said the Wren, "I won't be trying that again!"

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.07 (04) [E]

    From: 'Ben J. Bloomgren'
    Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.06 (04) [D/E/LS/German]

    Gabriele and list, were there really ostriches in Europe. I thought that
    they were a tropical/subtropical bird.
    Ben

They've never been native outside Africa, but they have been known in Europe from
at least Roman times, probably earlier (the Latin name *Struthio* is a classical
one).  They probably bred in southern Europe by the Romans.

Paul Finlow-Bates