LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 14 22:53:58 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 14 August 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Hugo Zweep' [Zweep at bigpond.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.14 (01) [E]

Heather
Strine does like to make z words, but I notice that an a is commonly added
to give, for example, Bazza and Gazza.

Is this z business Autralian in origin? I don't recall hearing this much
before the 1960s. The idea seems, to me, to have been popularised by the
Bazza McKenzie film, narrating the awful, gaffe filled adventures of the
naive eponymous Bazza.

Which reminds me of how Australians do love to apply rhyming slang to names
and objects and the puzzlement when continental Europeans first see it. My
initiation was a banner sign on a surf club which said "Welcome Home China"
and that during the White Australia days.

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Names

Hugo (above):

> Is this z business Autralian in origin? I don't recall
> hearing this much before the 1960s.

I don't recall hearing it much beyond the said Bazza, and I always thought of
that as some sort of imported anomaly or relic, like the occasional "Chuck" for
"Charles" in North America.

I believe the most common name derivation in Australia is simply using the first
syllable where this works (e.g., Peter -> Pete, Charlene -> Char, Joanne -> Jo,
Ashley -> Ash, Devon -> Dev, Jennifer ~ Jenna -> Jen, Jasmine -> Jaz).  For extra
effect (affection?), besides the usual -y or -ie, -o may be added to certain
names (e.g., Peto).