LL-L 'Rhyming slang' 2006.08.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 16 15:40:03 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 August 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'Hugo Zweep' [Zweep at bigpond.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Rhyming slang' 2006.08.15 (06) [E]

Gabriele
Maybe not funny and rhyming slang doesn't set out to be - although it
sometimes can be. It is more a way of including the initiated in the "in"
group.

For my example: think early 1950s; Australia is still in the grip of its
White Australia policy, keeping out the Asian hordes, and here is a surf
club, then a bastion of nationalistic misogynist mateship welcoming ....
well it seemed funny to me ... sigh.

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>There are other rhyming slang traditions besides the Cockney <

London / Cockneys also tried Backslang for a short time in the 19th century
( I think) but it never caught on generally as much Rhyming Slang.

There are loads of English speakers that think 'scarper' is a real verb
meaning 'to go/run off' but it is in fact Rhyming Slang Scarpa Flow =
go
My father always called his hat his 'titfer' ( tit for tat = hat) so much
so that I thought it was a real name like trilby or bowler.
English is littered with mostly unrecognised adopted Rhyming Slang words -
but the only Backslang I know of is 'yob'

................ unless someone out there knows of more!

Heather