LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2006.08.29 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 29 22:41:32 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 29 August 2006 * Volume 07

From: 'Stellingwerfs Eigen' [info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl]
Subject: LL-L 'Idiomatica'

Ron wrote:
> I don't recommend that learners use it (geil) unless they are absolutely
sure it's safe
That's quite how tricky it can be... geil plus safe, makes: safe sex!
Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

----------

From: 'Hugo Zweep' [Zweep at bigpond.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2006.08.29 (02) [E]

My Winschoter mother used to say "wel gefelisiteerd met je verjaordag".
She'd then go on to say to my Australian wife "Congratulations on your
husband's birthday", drawing out the "u" sound in congratulations. And then
she'd repeat it to all my children. They especially loved it and now we have
this familial ring around whenever one of of us has a birthday, always
imitating my mother's accent. Quite good fun to know siblings ring around
repeating what has now become somewhat of a tradition in an extended family.

Is this a lowland characteristic, congratulating family members on the
relative's birthday?

Hugo Zweep