LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.30 (06) [A/D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 30 19:34:22 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 30 August 2006 * Volume 05

From: 'Stellingwerfs Eigen' [info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Peter wrote:
> Could anyone tell me what a glimlach is.
Just look at a mirror, then smile and You will see a 'glimlach'.
If You still don't understand, just smile again...
One day, You'll find out..;-)
In Stellingwarf we call it a _glimpien_.
The verb _glimlachen_ is _glimmen_, glimken_ or _gnuiflachen_.
Oficial: a laugh without making noise.
"Een dag niet gelachen is een dag niet geleefd."
Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

----------

From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.30 (02) [A/E]

Peter Snepvangers wrote:
>I have a small tegel given to me by my cousin. On it is printed "Uw beste
>talisman is een glimlach".
>Could anyone tell me what a glimlach is. It sounds like a character from
Lord of
>the Rings books.

It sure does! But it's actually simply a smile.

My daughter and I were driving to Berlin on the freeway earlier this week,
and we saw a large truck; on both truck and trailer, it said in bright,
cheery colours and snappy fonts: "Totentransport" (Dead People Transport).
We couldn't believe it until we got closer and noticed that the truck was
from Norway, and "Toten" was actually the name of the owner of the shipping
business. Very likely, the driver had no idea what people must have thought
he was transporting! We almost died laughing...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Felix Hülsey [felix.huelsey at gmx.de]

Dear Peter and all,

> From: 'Peter Snepvangers' [snepvangers at optushome.com.au]
> Subject: LL-L Idiomatica
>
> Hoi Allemaal,
> I have a small tegel given to me by my cousin. On it is printed "Uw beste
> talisman is een glimlach".
> Could anyone tell me what a glimlach is. It sounds like a character from Lord of
> the Rings books.

Een glimlach is simply a smile - glimmen means something like to
sparkle, to beam, and lachen is to laugh.

I've known that word for 20 years but this is the first time I ever
notice how beautiful a metaphor it is.

Best wishes from Cologne
Felix Hülsey

----------

From: 'Mark Dreyer' [mrdreyer at lantic.net]

Hi, Vlad:

Subject: LL-L Idiomatica

>> traditional item of dress of those days in that community; short
>> knee-pants - Knietjebroeke. >
>
> "Dutchman's breeches," eh?

Exactly. Incidently, on a visit to a friend on Kibbutz I met a woman of
Dutch birth. She had dressed her twin boys in knietjiebroeke, & hadn't the
faintest notion that this item of dress drew eys like a four-legged goose!
They looked good though, & most unseemly clean - for boys.

Nee, jamme Vlad:

> Terloops, Mark, het jy daardie Kaapstad se Nederlandse
> woordeboekie gesien waarna ek aan jou 'n skakel het gestuur?

Jammer: Ek weet nie hoekom nie, maar ek het daardie brief nog nie opgespoor
nie.

> PS: Mark, weet jy dalk wat die militere afkortig "GAJON" kan beteken?
> Die konteks is kort: 'n kwalifikasiesertifikaat lees: "KURSUS: BASIES
> PRAKTIES EN
> GAJON."

Nee. Ek kan net se ek het niks soortgelyks gehoor of ervaar nie, al is ek
beide basies en prakties die ganse infanterieopleiding deur. Maar ek sal dit
in gedagte hou.
No, I can only say I never heard or experienced the like, though I have
passed through both basic & practical of an entire infantry training. But
I'll bear it in mind.

Die Uwe,
Mark

----------

From: 'Mark Dreyer' [mrdreyer at lantic.net]

Hi, Peter:

> Hoi Allemaal,
> I have a small tegel given to me by my cousin. On it is printed "Uw beste
> talisman is een glimlach".
> Could anyone tell me what a glimlach is. It sounds like a character from
> Lord of
> the Rings books.
> Cheers from Sydney
> Peter Snepvangers

In my language a 'glimlag' is a smile; a lovely word. I park it with
'vatsoen' our word for hug.'Glim' means to smoulder, phosphouresce, or glow,
& as you no doubt expect, lag is laugh. 'Vat' is hold, & 'soen' means kiss.

Yrs,
Mark

----------

    snepvangers at optushome.com.au

Afrikaans *glimlag* is "smile". I assume the "lag" bit is related to English
"laugh", but the "glim" part is a bit of a mystery.

Paul Finlow-Bates

From: 'Rikus Kiers' [kiersbv at tiscali.nl]

Hi Peter,

Een glimlach is just a smile.

Rikus Kiers

From: 'Hugo Zweep' [Zweep at bigpond.com]

Smile, Peter. You're on Candid Camera.

To think there is an answer only a few kilometres down the road from you.

Hugo Zweep