LL-L 'Traditions' 2006.12.09 (01) [E]

David Clarke Clarkedavid8 at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 10 10:34:03 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: llowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

Guy Fawkes day on November 5 used to be one of the main festivals  of the
year, comparable with Easter, Hull Fair and my birthday, although not as  good as
Christmas. My parents would ask  the neighbours round and  my mother would
cook special food, such as bonfire toffee, parkin, potatoes  in their skins and
Oxtail soup, and after we had set off the fireworks, but  before the food, we
would burn the Guy, a lifesize model of a man consisting of  my father's old
clothes stuffed with newspaper. Before his ceremonial burning,  he would be
left hanging on the swing while the fireworks were being let off. As  he was
consumed by the flames, his villainous face (drawn by my mother) would  seem to
take on a doleful expression.

The cinders of the fire would glow for days, which was great fun as they
could be used to start further fires. Halloween is a US (re-?)import into
England and wasn't celebrated or noticed much when I was a child. Nor was New  Year.

I am told that the best place for Guy Fawkes celebrations is the town of
Lewes in East Sussex. Perhaps this is due to their strong protestant traditions
following the burning of protestant martyrs in the town during the rain of
Mary  Tudor ("Bloody Mary").

David Clarke