LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.30 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 01:09:29 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 December 2006 - Volume 05

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at familydecker.org>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.30 (03) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, Leslie!  It's nice to hear from you again (especially because you agree
with me).

Well, I'm teaching high school now, and it doesn't start again until next
week. :-)

Oh, and nice IPA action, too!  Congratulations!

Thanks!  My linguistics degree got me somewhere!

Even most native Spanish speakers, especially those native to the US part of
California, pronounce such names accurately when speaking Spanish but
pronounce them in the common English way when speaking English.

Actually, I find this about most native Spanish speakers here too.  The
correction tends to be some sort of pretention among people who want others
to know that THEY know some Spanish.

English speakers often try to pronounce German place names in German when
speaking to me in English (e.g., "I particularly enjoyed *München*.").  I
don't really find it that cool, I must admit.  But whatever floats their
boats.

That annoys me too, but like you said, whatever they think!  I let it slide
though when my best friend says Hamburg ['hɑmburç], since she's from
Dierkshausen in the Lueneburger Heide.  :-)  Every other major German city
she pronounces in English when speaking English.

Leslie Decker

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.28 (01) [E]

Hi everyone,
> "Incidentally, I've come across many a "Platt" speaker who doesn't even
> know de Nedderlannen for "the Netherlands."  They use de Niederlande or de
> Niederlannen instead!  This is how bad the state of affairs is in Northern
> Germany that people started to use German names of well-known places and
> peoples, also, for instance, Dänemark for Däänmark (Denmark), Schweden for
> Sweden or Swäden (Sweden), Schweiz for Swietz or Swiez (Switzerland),
> Griechenland for Grekenland or Grä kenland, Frankreich for Frankriek
> (France), Türken for Törken (Turks), and Juden for Jöden or Joden (Jews),
> and, yes!, even Friesen for Fresen or Freisen!"
>
> For 'echt' Low Saxon you give a number of pairs. Are they the equivalents
> in different dialects, or do they represent the two orthographies (you
> don't make it clear, but I don't think it is two orthographies). Can you
> please elaborate. And do you consider the other forms, influenced by
> Hochdeutsch, to be incorrect in Low Saxon, or are they emcroaching so much
> that they might represent a new form of the language?
The Fehrs-Gilde has made a very comprehensive list in
http://www.fehrsgill-sass.marless.de/index.htm (click on   "Wöör üm Länner,
Staaten un ehr Lüüd")
I think this is an important piece of work: collect the lost pieces, put
them
together, call for "bug reports" and distribute what you get.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann