LL-L 'Traditions' 2006.12.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 18:33:09 UTC 2006

======================================================================= |
 L O W L A N D S - L * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226 |
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com |
 Rules & Guidelines: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.php |
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org - lowlands.list at gmail.com |
 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net |
 Server Manual: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html |
 Archives: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html |
 Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) [Please switch your view mode to it.] |
 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com |

 You have received this because you have been subscribed upon request. |
 To unsubscribe, please send the command "signoff lowlands-l" as message |
 text from the same account to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or |
 sign off at http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html. |

 A=Afrikaans Ap=Appalachian B=Brabantish D=Dutch E=English F=Frisian |
 L=Limburgish LS=Lowlands Saxon (Low German) N=Northumbrian |
 S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West) Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws) |

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 December 2006 - Volume 03

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
Subject: LL-L 'Tradtions' 2006.12.30 (04) [E]

Jonny wrote

>2. Maybe depending on this you're allowed to go to your neighbours and
steal
>all these things not tied up at the correct place- even bikes (as our Piet
>told me) or unclosed doors from a stable, a pushkart or or...

Do you think this could be tied up with the Welsh custom - but on Hallowe'en
- of removing the gates from houses/gardens and fields.
In our village pre war apparently not a gate would be found on its hinges
by morning of Nov 1

I understood this to be allowing the spirits free access or exit over the
New Year ( Samain)

Connection?

Happy New Year from a wet & windy Worcestershire

Heather

 * Please submit postings to lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org. |
 * Postings will be displayed unedited in digest form. |
 * Please display only the relevant parts of quotes in your replies. |
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") |
   are to be sent to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at |
   http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html. |