LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.12.31 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 20:23:02 UTC 2006

======================================================================= |
 L O W L A N D S - L * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226 |
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com |
 Rules & Guidelines: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.php |
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org - lowlands.list at gmail.com |
 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net |
 Server Manual: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html |
 Archives: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html |
 Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) [Please switch your view mode to it.] |
 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com |

 You have received this because you have been subscribed upon request. |
 To unsubscribe, please send the command "signoff lowlands-l" as message |
 text from the same account to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or |
 sign off at http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html. |

 A=Afrikaans Ap=Appalachian B=Brabantish D=Dutch E=English F=Frisian |
 L=Limburgish LS=Lowlands Saxon (Low German) N=Northumbrian |
 S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West) Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws) |

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 December 2006 - Volume 05

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Dear Lowlanners,

my last words for this year!

Does anybody of our LS-speakers (there are lots of them active ones, at the
moment!) know the word LS: 'killern'? One of those words sleeping beneath
the sediments of a live with dominating Standard German- it came to me today
when I played with my young dog. I think I didn't use or hear it for a good
40 years...
It means something like E: 'to tickle (excessively)", close to a torture.
In accordance to OnED it even could be cognate with 'to kill'.

Then I came across the word D: 'verkiezing', meaning E: 'election'. I can't
find any related, neither in E nor in G or LS. Any idea about the stem?

And here the last nut to crunch: E: 'guy' and LS(Stellingwarfs): 'goie'
(meaning 'my good one' when e.g. starting a letter)- could that once have
been of one and the same?

Thanks in award!

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Jonny,

I sure know killern, use it in Low Saxon as well as Missingsch.  I don't
think it's related to 'to kill', though.  I think something's going on with
/dd/ ~ /ll/ there.

Dutch kiezen 'to choose' is related to Low Saxon koyren 'to choose'.  It's
the old r ~ z alternation thing that you also get in the variation of
verlaren ~ verlazen 'lost' in Low Saxon dialects.

I thought that "guy" came from the French men's name Guy.  Goie is a
dialectical variant of goude 'good one'.

 * Please submit postings to lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org. |
 * Postings will be displayed unedited in digest form. |
 * Please display only the relevant parts of quotes in your replies. |
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") |
   are to be sent to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at |
   http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html. |