LL-L "Folklore" 2006.02.02 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 2 17:09:24 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

02 February 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2006.02.01 (11) [E]

Here in the Netherlands this spider hero is also known, as Anansi or
Ba Nanzi. Anansi from Suriname where the English, Dutch & Portuguese based
creole Sranan Tongo is spoken, Ba Nanzi (brother Nanzi) from the Dutch
Antilles (Curaçao, Aruba, Bonaire) where Spanish & Portuguese based
Papiamento is the creole.
Something like half of the populations of these two ex colonies live in
the Netherlands now, together maybe 5 % of the number of inhabitants here,
but in the main cities of the metropolitan area called Randstad in the
West, like Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, they form a much larger
component. Anyway, unlike in the USA, the descendants of the African
slaves in Suriname and the Dutch Antilles didn't change this spider for
another animal. In the case of Suriname with its tropical rainforests this
may have to do with the similarity of the natural environment to parts of
Africa, but the Dutch Antilles are just small and dry, isolated steppe
islands. Of course there are spiders over there as well, but the same goes
for the US, I guess that especially in the subtropical Southern states the
slaves encouters some quite big examples of these.

By the way, in the Lowlands area, Reinard (!) the Fox plays the same role
as Anansi traditionally. In my mother's home area, Hulst in Zeeuws-
Vlaanderen, there is a statue of "Reintje de Vos", he seems to originate
from this town, according to its inhabitants.
Note that the French word for fox is 'rénard'.

Regards
Ingmar

>Tom Mc Rae wrote:
>On animals in Folklore, while apparently wandering from our Lowlands for a
>while, West African Akan culture has an infinite number of stories about
the
>cunning
>spider Ananse who bamboozles all other critters. The spider involved is a
>large nephilid with a vast web commonly called a 'Money Spider'.
>Anthropologists claim that West African slaves brought the tales to the
USA