LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.02.03 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 3 20:52:45 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 February 2006 * Volume 06

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.01.31 (08) [E]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.01.31 (04) [E/LS]
>
>> From Paul Finlow-Bates
>
> I can't remember the last time I used a shoehorn.  Or even saw one!
> They are obviously far more popular in Mainland Europe (and N.
> America?) than in England or any part of the UK.  I suspect young
> people here would have trouble knowing what you were talking about.

We've always had shoehorns about in my family in Scotland, and my trusty
clothesbrush with shoehorn handle is always in my briefcase ready for
action.

I see a shoehorn is pretty much a necessity for keeping shoes in good
condition, but judging by the people I see walking about in shoes that
clearly haven't even been polished in weeks, I don't suppose shoe care
is much of a priority these days. For other people, that is - there's
nothing I enjoy more (well, there is, but you know what I mean!) than
lining up all my shoes and working down the row polishing the lot!

Or am I just addicted to the smell of shoe polish?  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/