LL-L "Folklore" 2006.02.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 5 02:39:38 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 04 February 2006 * Volume 02

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L Folklore

Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> Wrote
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2006.01.31 (02) [E]

So a lone magpie should be greeted with, "Good morning, Mr Magpie, how's
your wife?" implying that the magpie isn't such a loner after all.

Here at a certain time of year magpies in breeding mode attack passers by
and can cause bad head injuries. They hit with quite a whack and nobody
greets them with any nice words. As Brisbane is a total nature reserve they
cannot even be shot. Ours do redeem themselves with their musical calls.
On another tack is the lovely old Scots custom of placing a coin into a new
baby's hand the first time you see it still practised Sandy and others ?
Idea seems to be that if the Bairn has money at life's beginning it will
always have it. Young mums would go home with prams of coins in Edinburgh.
I still do this as routine here and a Ukrainian friend told me it was also a
custom in Ukraine. Is it done in other areas ?

Other customs involving money included the traditional "Poor Oot" when
people leaving their homes by car to attend a wedding, from groom to guests,
were assailed by kids running alongside the vehicle yelling "Poor Oot ! Poor
Oot !" Handfulls of coins were thrown out of the car and kids fought for
them in the gutter. Then there was 'The Christening Piece" (In Scotland a
'Piece' is a sandwich, usually jam) this piece was a parcel containing
various delectables and a sum of money and it was given to the first person
the family met when en-route to church for the baptism. Mine, I am told,
went to an elderly Irish Biddy.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us

Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us

Robert Burns

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2006.02.03 (08) [E]

>From Paul Finlow-Bates:

I knew a farmer in the English Lake District who would panic if he saw a
lone magpie.  He'd drive around hoping to see another one, using the logic
that the "two for joy" don't necessarily have to be together, as long as
they are seen a reasonably short time apart.  He had no precise definition
of "reasonably short"!

Paul F-B