LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 7 16:11:53 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

07 February 2006 * Volume 02

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.06 (09) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Language varieties
>
>"anal" (fancifully derived from Latin...
>_anus_ 'old woman'

No need to come up with your own fanciful derivation when English already
has something derived from that word: anile.

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.06 (08) [E]

Sandy wrote:
>I would say that those outside the culture should certainly research and
>study all they want to. But in the end I think it should be up to those
>within the culture to say what, if anything, should be done within the
>culture as a result of this body of knowledge that everyone has built up.

Well, yes, but only if the information for this "research and study" is
freely given. Those who decide not to share their language should be left
alone.

What I meant by spying, Ingmar: of course I could obtain plenty of details
on this topic (besides what I already know), being an "insider" and all. But
it would be plain wrong to then turn around and publish it in any way,
unless the dwindling community that speaks this form of Platt would want to
see it published (even then, I would not be the person to do it - because
this is not about me, I do not seek a reputation as a linguist).

Anyway - I love this discussion, if only to see our Ron drool in frustration
at the idea of all the hidden treasures out there that he may never get to
play with, hee hee...

But hasn't this been a topic of many great fantasy and adventure stories
ever since Jules Verne - the hidden worlds and cultures that may never be
spoken of? Wouldn't we all hate the thought that there is no possibility
they really exist?

Gabriele Kahn