LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.11 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 11 23:21:57 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 11 February 2006 * Volume 03

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.11 (01) [E]

I can't find what Gabriele said about this, I think it was lost somewhere
but I'm really interested in it, so maybe you could post it again?
Dear Ron, I didn't take your 'mocking' seriously at all, so I'm not
offended. I already know for long what you think about conlangs, which I
prefer to call artlangs because they're not just artificial but also
artistic. Btw what are the hard to pronounce MS sounds, you mean, not
<ö> [2:] and <ü> [y:] I hope? A Germanic koine without them would be
ridiculous, all real Germanic languages have them, except for Modern
English and Yiddish (and Scots?). So we find these sounds as separate
phenomenons in Low Saxon, German, Dutch, Swedish, Frisian, Norwegian,
Danish, Icelandic, Faroese, Afrikaans, Letzeburgs etc. And even English
speakers can and often do pronounce them (esp outside North America),
although the may have trouble to tell them from [o:] and [u:]...
Or were you refering to <ch> [x]? I think everyone can say Bach or Loch
Ness, English and Scandinavians too.
But, as you know I never said I wanted the world to speak Middelsprake,
like the Esperantistoj or Interlinguistas do. It was merely the joy of
creating an Inter-Germanic language and I'm pretty content the way it
turned out to be, especially the fact that it seems to be so easy to
comprehend at first sight by people who know whatever Germanic language,
yeah, even to a certain level by English speakers. That never happens
when 'foreigners' read a German, Dutch, Scandinavian, or Low Saxon text.
I think it's just fun!
I could make a Low Saxon koine as well, of course, from both German and
Dutch varieties, from Westphalian, Northern, Eastern and other main
dialects, but that would probably be seen as less objective, less
independent maybe and even as a threat for the real varieties. No one
would agree with it, I guess, and they wouldn't have too, because I don't
feel for it myself either.

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Ha, die Ingmar!

Oops!  The text Gabriele wrote seems to be lost.  No!  It is not a Freudian
incident but is due to a brief power outage this morning.  When power and
the system came back, the saved version of the message was still there, and
I assumed it was complete.  Obviously it was not.  My apologies.  Perhaps
Gabriele still has a copy she can share.  The gist of her message is simple
and easy: I am a childish playground bully, and she takes a stab at
invalidating me and my challenges by referring to my upbringing in Hamburg
and my status as a twice emigrant (which I take as inferring they are to
blame for the irrelevance of my views, knowledge quest and challenges).

> Dear Ron, I didn't take your 'mocking' seriously at all, so I'm not
> offended.

That's good, and it proves your generosity of character, not to mention your
sense of humor.

> I already know for long what you think about conlangs, which I
> prefer to call artlangs because they're not just artificial but also
> artistic.

Ingmar, as I said earlier, I have no fundamental issue with conlangs.  I see
the value of the more thought-out ones among them as being a way of raising
linguistic awareness, because I am firmly convinced that *any* at least
halfway serious comparative activity does that.  Furthermore, I appreciate
the basic spirit, that of attempting to bring communities together on
neutral ground.  As you can tell on a daily basis, we haven't made all that
much progress.  Isolationism, defensiveness, xenophobia, self-righteousness,
ancient grudges and suspicions, ignorance, stereotyping as well as lack of
mutual sensitivity, courtesy and respect still stand firmly in the way.

The only issues I have with some conlangs are those where, as for instance
Esperanto, there are claims or endeavors to develop such languages into
global and intercultural linguae francae when in reality they are culturally
and linguistically very limited and biased to start with.  While you can't
accommodate all languages, cultures or just their types, you should at least
cast the net widely in creating an easy, efficient and widely appealing
structure and inventory.  I feel that today's International English is at
least on its way toward cultural integration on a global scale.

In the case of Middelsprake, focus and scope are relatively narrow and, as
far as I can tell, you have cast your net widely. Furthermore, I've been
quite aware of the fact that in your case it's a labor of love without
grandiose goals.  When I suggested fiddling with a cross-Lowlands variety, I
was mostly joking, but I can see some educational value in such an exercise
because it requires dealing with both common heritage and "historical static
interference."  However, at the same time I share your view that the
educational value would easily drowned by the controversy it would stir up.

> Btw what are the hard to pronounce MS sounds, you mean, not
> <ö> [2:] and <ü> [y:] I hope? A Germanic koine without them would be
> ridiculous, all real Germanic languages have them, except for Modern
> English and Yiddish (and Scots?).

Yes.  Sorry to disappoint you.

> English and Yiddish (and Scots?).

That's a heck of a lot of speakers right there.

Furthermore, among the early Germanic languages there seems to have been no
sounds like <ö> [2:] and <ü> [y:].  Old Norse and Old English are supposed
to have them.  In Old Saxon, Old Low Franconian and in Old German they seem
to have developed much later.

Cheers,