LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.15 (03) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 15 19:38:22 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 February 2006 * Volume 03

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.15 (01) [E]

> From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.02.13 (01) [D/E]
>
>> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>> Subject: Lexicon
>>
>> Hi, Jacqueline, Roger and alleman (un -vrou)!
>>
>> The difference you Dutch speakers appear to perceive between
>> _hemel_ and _lucht_ interests me.
> Do not forget that the Western Flemish people also use "lucht " for
> the Dutch word "licht".

Yes, this is due to the form "lucht" deriving from another stem of
"licht", namely "*leucht" in Old Germanic.
This explains the difference between the noun "licht" and the verb
"verluchten", and the German Licht vs leuchten.
Also in Frisian dialects remnants remain: ljocht (with O) from
"licht-" (with typical Old Frisian breaking) and "ljuchtsje" from
"*leuchtian" eg.
In some dialects, eg West Flemish, but it also occurs in some Saxon
dialects, I believe, the vowel from the verb is transferred (by
analogy?) to the noun.
Of course the "lucht" (air) comes from "luft", and so originally
there was no confusion....
Strange fact: in West Frisian the "Erbwort" "loft" is used for "sky",
while the Dutch loan "lucht" is used for "air" (that you breathe).
The wurd "himel" isn't used very much, except in religious senses and
poetically. The related (?) "himmel" (adjective) is something like
"clean", eg.
see the already mentioned "himmelje" = to clean, to tidy up.

> We use "(al)licht" in the meaning of "almost".

licht for easy, not heavy, is used in West Frisian as well. This word
is never subject to breaking, as it has different origins from
"ljocht", which
must have had a -u- or -w- in the following syllable.

Henno