LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 22 16:24:04 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

22 February 2006 * Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.24 (03) [E]

>From Paul Finlow-Bates
Luc, Henno and All;
Words like *thwers, twers, dwars etc look to me to be related to English
"thwart".  Now used mainly in the verbal sense of to obstruct, originally
literally to "cross in front of".  It can be seen in the preposition
"athwart" - across, though that's a bit old-fashioned now.  The seat in a
small boat is also called a thwart, as it lies across the hull.

Paul