LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.28 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 28 22:00:16 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

28 February 2006 * Volume 04

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.28 (02) [E/LS]

Re: Schots en scheef. That was an interesting etymology Ron.
I never thought in terms of "ijsschots" meaning anything but just that,
a piece of ice floe that has broken off the larger ice mass. Under the
influence of wind and water movement these "ijsschotsen" start drifting and
land on each other in a sort of higgledypiggeldy way ( Dutch: kruien ). My
etymological dictionary gives "schos" as an older variety of "schots" and
"skos" as the Frisian word. Does that have anything to do with the German
"schussen" as in skiing down the mountain at breakneck speed?
It is interesting that the Dutch have a separate word for this interaction
of ice, wind, and water. "Kruien" would have a cognate in "to crowd" in
English. (Just thinking of it gives me the shivers!) Jacqueline

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Luc, Ron,

you wrote about about _kuddel-muddel_ etc:

> > I suppose the Low Saxon nominal equivalent is _kuddel-muddel_
> > (<Kuddelmuddel>), which is used in certain Missingsch varieties as
> > well.  I assume the second part is related to English "muddle."

and:

> > Could muddle and mill (moel) be related here?
>
> I doubt it.  Middle English supposedly got it from Middle Dutch _moddelen_
> 'to mess with mud', but I'm wondering if the source is really Middle Saxon
> _muddel(e)n_ with the same meaning and the extense 'to make a mess', 'to
> muddle'.

In our LS we still use _mud_ [mud] in its meaning very close to E: 'mud',
but also ('rüm-)_muddeln_, meaning E: 'to make a mess'.

_Kuddel_ standing alone is a Missingsch form for G:'Karl', E:'Charles'.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm