LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 4 03:05:51 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 03 January 20056 * Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.01.02 (01) [E]

From: "Ingmar Roerdinkholder"
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.12.28 (02) [E]

I'd like to say something more about the nature of Dutch , which seems
to be so hard to distinguish from Dutch or for foreigners:

compare:

*Efen ["e:f@] = plural of male name Eef! [e:f]; with proper
*even ["e:f\@] = even, equally, just; with that special [f\] sound
*Ewe ["e:v@] = Ewe, African people/language; with Engl. sound
*eeuwen ["e:w@] = ages, plural of "eeuw"; with Engl. sound

note that final <-n> in <-en> isn't pronounced usually in spoken Dutch,
and that [e:] is actually a diphthong [e:I] in many pronunciations in the
Netherlands.

So here we see the whore range: [f] - [f\] - [v] (or [v\]?) - [w].

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Phonology

Thanks, Ingmar.

Not that I want to necessarily complicate matters, but it ought to be
added that what you describe as [w] is [P] (IPA cursive v) in many Dutch
varieties, namely a labiodental approximant (which is also the predominant
realization of /v/ in Southern Asia, in South Asian English the
realization of both /v/ and /w/).

But do! es any of this affect understanding, if I get it wrong (which I
almost certainly will)?  If you say "I haff nassing", 99.9% of English
speakers will have no problem picking up "I have nothing".  Is English
unsually tolerant of sound error? And does that make us English speakers
especially difficult to understand when we speak other languages?

Paul