LL-L "Orthography" 2006.01.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 7 22:34:01 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 07 January 2006 * Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.27 (01) [E]

>From: "Dave Singleton" <davidsin at pt.lu>
>Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.26 (04) [E]
>
>I am glad that someone finally accepts that "would of" is in fact dialect

I didn't say that at all.

>From: "Global Moose Translations" <globalmoose at t-online.de>
>Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.26 (04) [E]
>
>Sandy wrote:
>
>>At the same time, I think it's a mistake to treat the usual written
>>forms of the language as sacrosanct or "standard", because there are
>>often gross inconsistencies and inefficiencies in them due to the
>>difficulty in persuading people to allow them to evolve. The problems in
>>English orthography are particularly bad.
>
>Quoting http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxwhat04.html:
>
>What is "ghoti"?
>by Jim Scobbie
>
>It's an alternative spelling of "chestnut". :-)  O.K., it's
>"fish", re-spelled by a Victorian spelling-reform advocate to
>demonstrate the inconsistency of English spelling:  "gh" as in
>"cough", "o" as in "women", "ti" as in "nation".

Don't imagine my mention of inconsistencies and inefficiencies in
English orthography is anything to do with ghoti arguments!

I think spellings like <-tion> in English make sense. OK, it's
irregular, but it's so very frequently used that nobody has any trouble
with it, because everyone's so familiar with it. It also uses the same
spelling as the original Latin, as does French, so preserves a genuine
and easily recognisable link with the romance languages which makes it
easier for English speakers to make a start on learning other romance
languages and vice versa. While preserving links with other languages is
probably not one of the aims of a good spelling system, if it does no
harm for a spelling to be irregular, it might as well be irregular in a
useful way! I think Shaw (or whoever thought of it) is perhaps being
overly passionate in their arguments for extreme spelling reform.

I think the "ghoti" people are arguing from the position that a good
spelling system is merely a matter of phonemics: the closer the spelling
comes to the sound of the language, the better. But I think there are
many examples in real languages that show that less phonemic, more
grammatically-derived features often make sense, as long as it doesn't
get too complicated. For example, the way aspirations are spelled in
Gaelic isn't phonemic (two different spellings can correspond to one
sound) and yet makes more sense than a phonemic approach, but in Welsh
the aspiration (or mutation) system is more complex so a grammatical
approach would make for complicated spelling rules and a purely phonemic
system is used instead.

An example from English is the spelling of plurals, where <s> is written
for both /s/ and /z/ without confusion.

Another way for spellings to be irregular in a useful way is to make
them more economical. For example, in English we write "be", "we", "he"
"she" rather than the more regular "bee" "wee" "hee" "shee". Again, this
is acceptable because these words are so common that sheer familiarity
overcomes any problems. The fact that they're very common words also
makes it a worthwhile economy!

I also think that irregularities aren't important in rare words. There
is no point in regularising exotic and unusual borrowings from other
languages, for example, if most English speakers would be so
unaccustomed to them that they'd more likely be copying them over from
somewhere than using them from their active vocabulary.

When I talk about spelling reform in English I'm thinking more about
regularising the middle ground: words that have spellings that cause
real difficulties due to a combination of their origins being obscure
and their usage not being frequent enough for people to quickly get to
know them like old friends.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.28 (01) [E]

>From: "heather rendall" <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
>Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.27 (01) [E]
>
>Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>
>>But when an enthusiastic convert suggested that 'ghoti'
>>
>would be a reasonable way to spell 'fish' under the old system
>[...], the subject seemed about to be engulfed in the ridicule from
>which Shaw was determined to save it."  We have not been able to
>trace the name of the "enthusiastic convert". <
>
>I have heard it attributed to Lewis Carroll as one of his spelling riddles
>for children.
>It is the kind of thing that would have delighted him - as it reveals the
>absurdity / inconsistency of English spelling.

But Lewis Carroll is a weird ghoti! He used spellings like "wo'n't" and
"sha'n't" because it bothered him that in these words one missing letter
was indicated with an apostrophe but not another.

The trouble with these logicians is that they don't seem to realise that
a system is only logical if it's logical everywhere. By his logic, ev'ry
singl' silent let'er wou'd hav' to be sho'n by an apostrophe!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/