LL-L "Othography" 2006.01.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 10 21:50:31 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

09 January 2006 * Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2006.01.09 (02) [E]

Dear Sandy, Heather & All.

Subject: LL-L "Orthography"

Thanks for this fine string. Might I add that redundancies in English
spelling (& grammar too), contribute to clearer understanding of the message
transmitted. Repeating information in an alternative way ensures that it
gets through.

Another property of English spelling that I treasure is that it preserves
the history of a word from its native language & original coining to its
acquisition by this very acquisitive language. It actually promotes
comprehension by second language users with any depth at all to their
interests, particularly other languages.

Having said that I will also concede I would not like to have to contend
with such shambolic, if historical, confusion in Afrikaans.

I have not been lurking... Pa's only remaining farmhand went walkabout this
fag-end of December & early January, so I have with minimal forwarning &
preparation had to stand in for him, so enjoying a very quiet, if busy,
plaasvakansie met die ou kêrel. Ek het die beeste gediep, koeie met hul
kallers gehelp, vlakvark gejag, rooibok lammetjies bekruip en getel, haai,
hoe fraai! Bolletjies en beskuit gebak, bier gebrou en witblits gestook.
Gesondheid!

Die Uwe,

Mark

P.S. Happy New year to All, & a belated Merry Christmas & Glukliche Chanuke
all round.