LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.14 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 14 22:30:37 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 14 January 2006 * Volume 03

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2006.01.13 (07) [E]

Ricus wrote:
> Gabrielle I admire your clear and somewhat militant formulations.
Actually, I am rather doing this on purpose; we've all heard about how women
like to use cautious or submissive phrases such as, "well, in my
opinion...", "if you ask me...", "I should say...", "don't get me wrong,
but...", "if I may say so...", and I am consciously trying not to fall into
that trap. One has to start somewhere! Also, my scientific education (along
with my four older brothers!) has taught me (by the negative example of most
professors) to state my opinions clearly, no hemming and hawing, and then
stand by them. But I'm not really half as militant as I sound; I just
believe in making a good argument, sometimes even when I do not really
support a point, but still think it needs to be raised for the discussion's
sake. I wish there were a nicer way of saying devil's advocate...

> I was not talking about intimitation, but thinking about how to give light
> if you are a candle in the sunny brightness of daylight, in which you two
> put us.
But candlelight is so much more romantic than our sometimes blinding
flare-ups! Also, it gives warmth, not only light. And it can burn if you're
not cautious, even in bright daylight.

Ron:
> I know that mine aren't militant (despite false rumors about
"propaganda").
Quoting Genghis Khan again? ;-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

GabrieLe:

> > > I know that mine aren't militant (despite false rumors about
> "propaganda").
> Quoting Genghis Khan again? ;-)

Nope, just being aware of:

Den eyn syn oevertuygen is den annern syn indoktrinaatschoon.
Den eyn syn bewysen is den annern syn propaganda.
Den eyn sien pynoet is den annern syn vule tomaat (~ handgranaat).

> I wish there were a nicer way of saying devil's advocate...

"Rabula diaboli"? (slides off the tongue)

"Counter-angelic propagandist"?