LL-L "Resources" 2006.01.17 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 17 19:25:21 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

17 January 2006 * Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

Please join me in welcoming a new Lowlander: Wesley Parish of New Zealand.

Wes wrote the following in addition to his statement of purpose, and he gave
me permission to pass it on to you:

***

Welcome, Wes, this time officially on the List!  It's great to have you on
board and to sense your enthusiasm.

There's quite a lot on information on Low Saxon ("Low German"), Old, Middle
and Modern, certainly if you can German and/or Dutch.  One of the problems
is labelling.  In the process of Germanization, the Saxon language came to
be named "Low German" (_Niederdeutsch_), which in linguistic terms is a
sub-group of West Germanic and covers Low Franconian as well).  (_Sassysch_,
_Neddersassysch_, etc., however, in reference to the Saxon varieties
continued as minority labels into the 19th century and even early 20th
century in Germany, and they are still used predominantly in the
Netherlands.)  Furthermore, "Old Saxon" and "Middle Saxon" came to be
renamed from _Altsächsich_ and _Mittelsächsisch_ to _Altniederdeutsch_ and
_Mittelniederdeutsch_ respectively, even with the exclusion of Low
Franconian.  This renaming has been favored by the naming of a non-Saxon
German state to _Sachsen_ (Saxony).  Criticism of the language labels
therefore tends to be conveniently deflected by pointing out that it's too
late now and (allegedly stupid) people would be confused.

Speakers of other languages that follow the usual Germanistics terminology
tend to follow this, hence English "Old Low German" and "Middle Low German."
In other words, you need to extend your searches accordingly.

Wes, please have a look at the following, to start with.

http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/
http://www.plattmaster.de/links.htm
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/plattewelt.htm
http://www.plattnet.de/
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=links_nds
http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=offline_nds
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/po.htm
http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/lowsax-nl.htm
http://taal.phileon.nl/eng/lowsaxon.php

There are tons more, not even counting printed material.