LL-L "Orthography" 2006.01.17 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 18 00:00:00 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

17 January 2006 * Volume 09

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2006.01.17 (07) [E]

Heather/Ron:
> > but much of the essence of English comedy lies in the
> > double entendres and comic effects of homophones
>
> Yeah?  And?  Do you need different spelling for that?  If you can do it in
> spoken form you can do it in the same way in written form.  Roygh'?

Damn right you do need a different spelling! At least those among us who
love cryptic crossword puzzles (which only really work in English, so-so in
Dutch, and not at all in German). There's a whole universe that would be
lost to those of us who appreciate the joys of the intellect! I think I
quoted this before, but my youngest (then about five or six) once told an
attentive audience that she knew "what my parents do when they're alone in
bed, before they go to sleep". "So, what DO they do?" (my brother, who
else). Imagine our relief when she said "Cryptic puzzles"!

So, let not a letter be changed, or the balance of the universe will be
destroyed! ;-)

Gabriele Kahn

P.S. Trying to impress a moose with strap-on horns? That's pathetic! No
wonder you have a headache!

P.P.S. This reminds me, I used to whack our Jonny, whom I have never met in
real life, with virtual cast-iron frying pans when he got too cheeky (he
begged for it). But not for a while, so it is not my responsibility that he
seems to have gone missing...