LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.23 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 23 20:57:47 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 23 January 2006 * Volume 06

From: mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.22 (01) [E]

Hi Lowlanders,
I have read through the good stuff that flickered across my screen on
spelling reform and related subjects because it´s so fascinating
(as are almost all LL postings) this despite of the fact that in
particular since a few years the sole mention of "spelling reform"
sends waves of goose skin down my back. Ron and many others on
this List can appreciate why.
In resumé: my advice would be, hands off! Or at least, don´t think
once or twice, but a hundred times very very carefully before you
start meddling. Chinese has been for thousands of years a written
communication medium for speakers of diverging languages. Now it
starts coming to that Singaporeans and Taiwanese are beginning to
encounter difficulties in their written communications, due to...reform.
Kumpelmenten, Mike Wintzer